Saturday, April 10, 2010

Sibby's Delight Night

Clearly I have a thing for baking.. which has also morphed into a thing for trying other peoples' baked goods. I like this plan but it means I have to work out more.. which doesn't always happen!

We all know that with the help of Oprah and other trendy celebrities, the mid 2000's introduced suburbia to boutique cupcake shops or "cupcakeries." I tend to hate food trends just as much as clothing trends. I can appreciate a good tart yogurt place or a pair of quality snow boots, but when the yogurt places start popping everywhere seeminlgy disguised as day spas, and are filled with milfs wearing fuggs.. I die a little inside. Which is why I cannot stand Sprinkles or Kara's.. the cupcakes and shops look as sterile as the people who buy them.

I heard about Sibby's on yelp and had to try them after reading all the fab reviews. I felt even more intrigued when I learned they don't have a retail storefront.. hmmm.. no threat of scenesters.. maybe this place really is focused on making quality cupcakes! And it couldn't be more true. Sibby's are the best cupcakes I've tried (besides mine, of course, ha!).

I ordered the minimum order of 12 cupcakes (because I'm a total glutton) and quickly realized what a bad plan that was, so I invited my girlfriends over for dinner with a Sibby's cupcake sampling for dessert. We tried the coconut, buttercup, confetti, grandma's, lemon, and flavor of the month, strawberry. They were all very moist and decorated to perfection (I just got their signature decor, nothing personalized). Strawberry was by far the best all around, with great cake and frosting flavors-we could all really taste the fresh strawberries. Next best was the lemon drop- it was a happy, light sunshiney flavor. The chocolate cakes were very good with an ever so slight hint of espresso/coffee (brings out the chocolate flavor). The plain cakes were a bit too homemade tasting and not very cohesive; I could taste the flour and baking soda/powder every now and then. There was actually one called the "buttercup," which I thought was a really cute name, but I felt like the butter flavor was a bit too forced and made me think maybe they were using butter "flavor," but I'm not sophisticated enough to know for sure. The chocolate frosting on grandma's tea cake was a fantastic dark chocolate, and all the other lighter/dyed frostings had the slightest hint of cream cheese in them which was fab, but a little redundant.

I had a lot of fun with the girls trying all the different flavors. In all, we split 6 cupcakes which felt like an enormous amount, but when we did the math we realized we all only had one and half cupcakes total. Not too bad!!


Sibby's Adorable Cupcakes:

From top center clockwise: Buttercup, Grandma's Tea Cake, Confetti Surprise, Strawberry, Coconut, and Lemon Drop in the center.

3 comments:

  1. You have a very sophisticated palate for cupcakes! Sibby's cupcakes are darling and it's good to know that there are people out there who make them taste good as well as look cute. Is that a fondant flower on the Strawberry?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is no sophistication here, promise! Yes it was a fondant flower which was cute but very stiff and not appetizing. We ended up throwing it out. Thanks for being my 1 faithful reader!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Make that two faithful readers! Andrea was telling me about Sibby's cupcake night...what a great idea for a dinner party! Makes me wish I lived in Redwood City for the taste-testing.

    ReplyDelete