Saturday, February 13, 2010

Crumby

I've been pulling weeds all morning and thinking about my raspberry bushes.. the poor things look very sad. Even sadder is that I potentially killed my chances at any fruit this year because I pruned them all wrong... wherps. My razzies were a year old when I got them, which meant I'd get fruit this year on the canes that flowered last year. I was supposed to trim them back right now.. but I didn't know that so they got pruned in the fall, eeek! I don't know what this means but I don't think it can be good. All I wanted was to make some raspberry jam. Waaah!!!

So anyway the point of this post was to share a little recipe I concocted last night. I bought some bartlet pears thinking I'd use them in a Martha recipe, but I never did. They ripened a couple of days ago and I had a friend coming over so I decided they needed to be eaten for dessert. I spied around for some easy recipes and didn't find anything I liked. Around NYE I made a pear clafoutis from an Ina Garten recipe- it tasted wonderful but looked like ham custard in the end. Totally unappetizing and a hard sell at work and my NYE party!! So that was out. I've had some rolled irish oats sitting around for a while, and some almond flour I bought for macaroons. After my unsuccessful spies on the interwebs, tada! I came up with a pear crumble.

2 ripe pears, cored and cut into cubes (I left the skin on)
1/4 c almond flour
1/4 c brown sugar
1/4 c rolled oats
1/8 c regular flour
2 tbsp butter, room temp
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350. Toss the pears and the spices together (extra points if you throw in some lemon juice and maybe even some vanilla) and place in an oven safe pyrex type dish. Mix all the dry ingredients together, then mash in the butter with your fingers- act like you're looking for your lost jewelry in a sandbox. When it's all incorporated, place the crumble on top of the pears and bake for 40 minutes.

Unfortunable I don't have a picture because it was so good I ate it all before the idea to blog struck me. Use your imagination! As Lavryn and I would say, "toasty oats!"


1 comment: