Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Salvateenie Shower

My former Spanish teacher and good friend Edith is expecting triplets with her husband Joe. They're calling the identical twin boys and girl the "Salvateenies," a cute nickname derived from their last names. They have real names picked out, of course :) I'm still in shock about the whole thing, but Edith and Joe are as cool as cucumbers.. which I'm sure bodes well for them and their soon to be exciting family life!

So, JoAnna and I decided to throw a "former students" shower at a tapas bar in SF. JoAnna took the lead on everything and came up with a wonderful "peas in a pod" theme. I wasn't sure what was left to do, so I offerred to make dessert. Yay! Fun!!!

I knew Edith likes chocolate. I knew the theme was peas in a pod. I knew I had a chocolate frosting recipe I had been wanting to try. I also had a craving for peanut butter m&ms. And it all came together.. chocolate cupcakes with chocolate frosting topped with three peas in a pod! Haha.

I used fondant for the pods, a medium I'm still not very good or patient with. The peas, aka m&ms, were a little large. I rolled and cut some green fondant and then shaped them into pods around three m&ms- two of the same color and one different, to signify the three little babays. Well, they came out looking like m&ms in canoes or m&ms in a green jacket. And they were huge! They took up the whole cupcake! Shame on me for craving peanut butter m&ms.. they're so large! But so delicious...

The good news is, nobody seemed to care. They were scarfed down, and three were left for my little Salvateenies to enjoy at home later, via mom, of course :)

Baby Cakes:

1 comment: