Sunday, March 21, 2010

Vanilla BOO Bakery- Today's Inspiration

A few weeks ago I sampled some cupcakes from a bakery in San Carlos named Vanilla Moon. My friends got four cupcakes to go, which we planned to eat later in the day (easier said than done). I had heard great things and was excited to try one of their cupcakes, so I took a slice from a chocolate chip cookie dough cupcake. It was actually really good and tasted like the perfect combo of a cupcake and cookie dough, yum. So yesterday I took JoAnna there so we could try some other flavors. As we waited in the line to merely see the cupcakes in the absurdly placed display case, stuffed in an awkward wedge between wall and occupied cafe tables, I was a little irritated but also excited; the crowd seemed to indicate this place was bomb. Finally after about 5 minutes we made it to the display case.

First thing I noticed was how pretty the cupcakes were. Second was I surprised there were only about six options. Third I was impressed they had mini versions of what I assumed were their most popular cupcakes. Fourth.. well, I feel bad admitting this one, because the place does look super clean and all the people behind the counter seemed clean... atop the peanut butter chocolate cupcakes were wedges of reese's peanut butter cups.. each one with a fingerprint in the reese's chocolate. At first I thought, "ha! that looks bad!" Then I thought, "AH! that looks bad.. why weren't they wearing gloves?" Eek. Yeeek. Bleeehhh.


I rationed it was an honest mistake and instead focused on my order. I opted for four mini cupcakes: vanilla, red velvet, choco chip cookie dough, and yes.. peanut butter chocolate. JoAnna's order was surpremely screwed up- they kept giving her the wrong thing, didn't charge her (and blamed her for that), didn't give her her all the cupcakes she ordered, and when we got back to my place, we noticed they had replaced the peanut butter chocolate cupcake she ordered with a chocolate cupcake- probably for the best :D I first took a bite of the vanilla. CRUMB FEST!!!! So dry and crumby. JoAnna likened it to sawdust. Then I had the peanut butter.. it wasn't bad but JoAnna hit the nail on the head and said it was lightly sweetened peanut butter atop a boring chocolate cupcake. The red velvet was, well, red velvet.. ever ambiguous flavor.. but this one was definitely lacking something. I just couldn't tell what. I saved the best for last.. cookie dough. It was definitely the best of all four, but a little on the dry side. My guess is the mini cupcakes just don't get as much care and dry out easier. My solution would be to nix them from the menu, but they seem to sell. If anybody is like me, they ration that four minis is equal to one regular cupcake, ha ha! Perfect for all those San Carlos mommies watching their weight, or something..


So I made it a mission to make a good, no-crumbs vanilla cupcake tonight. I used my white cake recipe and added extra vanilla. I made my go-to swiss meringue buttercream, and at the end added melted white chocolate. The result was way better than Vanilla Moon's, but I guess that's not saying much! You'll just have to try one for yourself! Honestly though, like I told JoAnna in Half Moon Bay yesterday, which is severely lacking a good bakery cafe- these towns have no excuse, we're at sea level! Get with the program! Let's get a phenomenal anti-boutique (sprinkles, kara's) down-home local bakery going here!! Thank you. :D


Four Darlings:




Friendlier with Sprinkles:

No comments:

Post a Comment