Thursday, March 11, 2010

Iron Cupcake

I was sitting at work the other day, minding my own business, when a cube neighbor randomly came over and asked if I had ever heard of "Iron Cupcake." This was exciting for two reasons, 1) I'm getting a reputation for being a baker and not just a banker, 2) people seem to want to enable me, YEAH! I told him I had never heard of it, but I was intrigued because I know about Iron Chef and could imagine a colorful and chaotic time crunched baking competition with flying sprinkles and spilled cake flour creating a dramatic mist... like a drag show you can eat! As I continued to dance around in my iron cupcake candyland imagination, he went on to explain that Iron Cupcake is a meetup group that meets once a month in San Francisco, in which contestants are given a theme or ingredient to use and bring a bunch of homemade mini cupcakes made with that theme or ingredient. The cupcakes are then rated by cupcake lovers to determine the winners. Not exactly what I imagined, but still fantastical!

I decided I am going to attend this month's Iron Cupcake as a guest. However, the theme is bacon. I don't actually like bacon, but I want to participate as a baker soon (like, next month) and I might as well attend as a guest first to get a feel for the competition ;) Actually I have a killer idea in my head for a bacon themed cupcake but will not share for fear it will be stolen! Did I mention I'm competitive?? I'll pay $5 to sample a bunch of mini cupcakes made with bacon, hopefully meet some fellow amateur/amazing bakers, and prepare myself for April's show down. Here is a link to the site:

http://www.meetup.com/Iron-Cupcake-San-Francisco-Challenge/

Fun!

1 comment:

  1. This sounds awesome! I so wish I lived in the bay area right now!!!!!! Show us pics of the cupcakes when you enter the competition! Fleur de sal caramel cupcake with bacon bits would be my choice for the current one.

    ReplyDelete