Monday, March 1, 2010

deluxe fatty cake

Okay the post should really be called "Deluxe Sunday Morning Coffee Cake," but soon you'll see why I had to change the title.

Who doesn't love coffee cake? Sometimes before school, mom used to let us run into Quik Stop and pick something out for breakfast. Powdered and those waxy Chocolate donuts were on the top of my list, but sometimes I'd go for the buttery(ish) brown sugary(ish) hostess coffee cake. I say "ish" because I'm sure it was all sugar and corn syrup with "natural" flavoring, but it sure was good! My point is it's hard to mess up coffee cake because all it is is fat upon sugar upon fat and so forth... winning combination.

Lavryn has told me time and again that the Joy of Cooking deluxe coffee cake is THE BEST. Being the authority on all things fatty and delicious, I trust her judgement. Her favorite part about the cake is that it gives you the option of using buttermilk, because according to Lav, "cakes made with buttermilk really make me feel like I'm making a real old fashioned cake, so moist, yeah!" (loosely quoted but still accurate). She made some last week and facebaked it with her special modifications (less flour, more sugar, please!)... which led me to drool and crave some. The best part about this recipe is I had all the ingredients on hand, even the buttermilk (left over from Mike's birthday cake). Instead of using nuts in the crumb topping, I used some almond flour/meal to give it a nutty flavor without the distraction of crunchy nvts. A moist cake deserves to be savored, after all!

And moist it was.. seriously the moistest coffee cake I have ever eaten. It practically melted in my mouf. No doubt this had to do with the 1.25 sticks of butter and 3/4c buttermilk. Add to that about 1.5 cups of sugar, and barely fill an 8x8 pyrex dish half full, and soon you understand why this is the best fat and sugar dance your mouth has ever had. The top was a little too crumby for me (prob the almond flour, I added a little less than 1/4c), so next time I'll add more butter. But overall, one of the best coffee cakes I've ever tried. Unfortunately I cannot find the recipe online and I'm a lazy girl who doesn't want to type it out.

Also, this is the only photo of the cake, whoops!!:



oh, and p.s., BRAD LIKED IT! he only ate a sliver and doesn't generally eat non-chocolate cake, but said it was good. triumph!

No comments:

Post a Comment