Sunday, July 25, 2010

Caramel Cake Bake-Off!

Willful and I both read The Help by Kathryn Stockett and both of us were left with an unrelenting craving for caramel cake. So, Will suggested we do one of her infamous "face-bake offs" using the same recipe. We did this once before with bagels- the technique involved baking the same thing at the same time and posting photos/videos of the process on facebook. Will found the recipe for this bake-off from the annual publication of America's Test Kitchen: Best Recipes and Reviews of 2009. She took the time to copy and snail mail me the recipe and it turned out I actually had the publication already :D
We baked at 2p.m. pst / 3p.m. mt (how do you abbr. mountain time??). Molly came over to help document. The result is the video below.. which ended up being about 8 minutes.. WAY long in my opinion but there are a few scenes in there worth waiting for :) Will even makes a cameo!!
Enjoy :) and... don't mind the video quality.. I exported in the highest quality possible but youtube always turns it to shit so I don't know what to do, and I don't have the time to figure it out at this point.

3 comments:

  1. ACK! Don't preface that you're making baked goods inspired by The Help and then close with "turns it to shit"! Too many memories!!!

    Hope it was super-yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA totally didn't think of that! :) It was super yummy.. but it tasted more like a maple donut than a caramel cake. Do-over (happily)! I might try to recreate Kara's banana cupcakes w/ caramel filling and cream cheese frosting tonight.. SO good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait until we do this again! The girls and I watched your video last night . . . they loved it! They were also super impressed with your decorating abilities and your swiveling cake stand.

    ReplyDelete