Tuesday, September 11, 2012

California Cottage Food Bill / Homemade Food Act

I'm a little late to this party- but I was pretty much at the tail end of my pregnancy and baby-busy when things heated up, so I have an excuse.

The Governor has a bill on his desk, AB 1616, that if passed, would basically allow home bakers, etc., to sell their food legally. Long story short for bakers if this passes: presumably after taking a class and paying minimal fees, you can sell pretty much all baked goods except those containing cream or meat (sorry bacon hipsters). Essentially, cream includes cream cheese frostings and fillings, meringue pies, etc.; basically anything requiring refrigeration.

This is a huge thing for home food makers, and for me. I could finally kick things off with my cakes and the like without having to bake in a commercial kitchen and pay huge fees. It means I'll have to find a way around traditional cream cheese frosting, but that shouldn't be a big problem. You can read a bit more about the bill here:
http://www.theselc.org/cottagefood/cottage-food-lawscottage-food-law-bill-language/

Some folks are weary because, understandably, you don't "know" where your food is coming from, and home kitchens aren't subject to the same kind of strict regulations and inspections as commercial kitchens. First of all.. the majority of the time, you don't know where your food is coming from unless you  make it yourself. Second, from what I've read about AB 1616 and other cottage food laws, your food has to be clearly labeled with something like "made in a home kitchen not inspected by the ca dept of health" blah blah- so people who are scared of home kitchens can steer clear. You also have to list ingredients and allergens. It's not 100% fool proof, and there are always going to be slackers.  I don't plan on being a slacker, and I am willing to bet the majority of people excited to see this pass aren't slackers either.

Anyhoo, I really hope this thing passes! It would mean great things... for you and me!

No comments:

Post a Comment