Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Wow

It's been another month and I have been so busy! Between the wedding, work, and baking, there's not a whole lot of time for writing. Plus, the sun is playing hide and seek and when it comes out on the weekend, I use the opportunity to sit and read in the sunshine. I just got through reading one of my new favorites, The Shadow of the Wind and am in the middle of the first Sookie Stackhouse novel Dead Until Dark and a completely different selection, The Forgotten Garden- both very good in their own ways. I never knew Sookie was such a trashy read! Love it.


As far as baking.. it's been off the hook. So far in this past month I have completed three orders- a baby shower, cupcakes for teacher appreciation week, and a kids birthday party- all with custom decorations. All together that was 12 dozen cupcakes. I have a 120 mini cupcake order coming up this weekend for a bridal shower, and a multi-tiered fondant covered cake order the weekend after that for another baby shower. There are two other orders in May in addition to a bridal show where I'll be passing out freebies alongside a Stella & Dot stylist as a ploy to get people to her booth.


All this baking has been a lot of fun and a great learning experience. I'm looking forward to my "launch" in the fall and becoming official. So far I'm having a lot of fun working through all the little things that need to be in order before my little side business is legit- what kind of containers to use for the cupcakes, what my business cards and labels should look like, how I will market myself, how much I need to produce in order to make a profit, where I will set up shop, etc. I've already run through a lot of this and have learned tons about what works and what doesn't. One of the more exciting things has been using my winnings from the Iron Cupcake championship in December to fund my new business account. It's all the money I have and I'm not touching it! Ha. Silly the things we hold on to.

So, I am just super grateful for all the practice business I've been getting from friends and friends of friends. Things are really looking good for a fall launch. Yay for side businesses!
Here are some photos to enjoy (or not):




Wedding Cake Testing (sprinkles will not be included):







Birthday Party Cupcakes:




Dr Seuss cake test (cat in the hat hat):




Children's Literature Themed Baby Shower:






1 comment:

  1. Ooh - I want the piece where the icing is filling the two layers! Our neighbor brought over little mini brownies with vanilla icing and I'm in heaven - you'd hate it...all crispy and sweet.

    ReplyDelete