Sunday, January 23, 2011

Oh Yeah!

I am pretty forgetful.. and I get lazy from time to time. It's a bad combo.

This Christmas and for my birthday, I received so many baking gifts and I totally forgot to blog about them. I might have even forgotten to thank people! Shame, shame.

Brad bought me two vintage kitchen aid stand mixers, cupcake earrings, and had a stamp customer made for my "bakery". Edith bought me an awesome baking/recipe book, and I have read the entire cake section a couple of times now.. lots of good ideas! Molly and Ivan gave me a cute decorating book and lots of baking accessories, as did a number of other friends. Willful located a cupcake shaped soap and shipped it all the way to Cali in a box full of other fun stuff. Yesterday somebody even gave me cupcake key covers.. I am decked out! Thank you EVERYBODY for the fantastic and fun gifties!!

In other news, I have been trying to think of a name for my "bakery" which I would prefer to call a cakery because let's get real, I cannot make a croissant or eclair to save my life. I really love "Collie Flour" for the sentimental and personal touch, but people have been telling me it sounds too much like a vegetable and is confusing. I love the simplicity of the name "Sprinkles", but everything like that is taken. I thought I was a genius when I thought up "In the Mix" but there is a cupcakery in Connecticut with that name. I tried to think back to my first baking curiosity, that armadillo red velvet cake... then I realized "Magnolia" is VERY much taken. Hahaha. What I'm saying is.. think of some ideas for me! I am in the process of getting ready to start selling my stuff legally- meaning I will be baking in a licensed kitchen, but I need a business name first. I would loooove your help :D

Here is a cake I mentioned in a previous post. It's just chocolate chocolate with more chocolate. I ran out of... chocolate frosting (the lighter one), so it looks a little thin in the photo, and oddly shiny. I felt inspired and piped some flowers and they came out pretty nice. I think I really like piping and would love to learn more and incorporate it into more of my cakes/cupcakes. It's a lot of work but with the effort in the end.


I actually did get to witness the slice of cake in a bowl of milk.. it was amazing. And it was a good thing I ran out of the frosting.. the cake was so rich, the thin layer really did work perfectly with it. I am on my wedding diet but ate a huge piece! Another coworker, who doesn't usually eat anything during the day, took two pieces. That's the best.. when people enjoy something I made. Fortunately, it happens more often than not.

For next time, I will try to remember to tell you about a taste test I recently did with Brad- my cupcakes against Kara's and Sprinkles.. oh my! Good thing Sibby's weren't there.. they would have beaten all of us :/

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you liked the book (even if it WAS a Terri suggestion...)! I am trying to think of bakery (though I like the idea of cakery) name ideas for you. Oh! While I was cleaning out our hall closet I found the program from your graduation (in the actual bag i took to your graduation ... that's how long it's been since I cleaned!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Though, honestly, CollieFlour is a SPECTACULAR name...and if people think it has to do with the other type of coliflower (sp? in Spanish it's coliflor - so easy), you can cash in on the whole "healthy eating" craze!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh I want cake so badly now! You'll find the perfect name. I love the cakery part!

    ReplyDelete