Thursday, September 9, 2010

Flat-a-tat-tat

I was craving frozen yogurt the other night, so I decided to make chocolate chip cookies. Doesn't make any sense, I know. I guess my brain said "give me sweet!" but I didn't feel like driving so I thought of what I could make with what I had on hand. Also, we had just finished watching Food Network's Challenge show, and the challenge was chocolate. Brad kept saying how much he wanted chocolate while I kept thinking how tasty some froyo would be. Chocolate won, as usual.


I always use the Ghirardelli Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe, found on the back of the semi sweet or milk chocolate chips they sell, with great success. The only worry I had was that Ghirardelli's chips seemed to have doubled in size since the last time I made them. Seriously, they are huge.. it's almost comical. I got over my initial shock to make the dough as usual, bake as usual... then.. I took the cookies out to find they were flatter than pancakes. I was bewildered. Why so flat! I've noticed a trend lately in absurdly flat homemade cookies (no offense, Lala). Even the cookies in the image on Ghirardelli's website show flatty acid cookies!! The promo image on the right is exactly how my cookies came out.


The cookies ended up tasting just fine, but they were just way too thin and breaky. I prefer a more substantial cookie that's got a bit of a crisp around the edges with some chew, then soft and dreamy in the middle, almost cakey. I used to achieve this with the Gharardelli recipe. Not this time. I even refridgerated some of the dough overnight and baked it cold the next day.. and still.. flatties. I'm thinking it could be the size of the chips.. or maybe the fact that I used fancier flour (King Arthur since I had it on hand from the brownies). In the end though, this is a disastrophe that I will happily do-over.
Oh, and Brad loved them :)

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE flat crispy cookies - so if you ever have this problem again you can just send them to me to hide the evidence. :) That said, you might have had a little too high of a butter ratio in your dough. To make them more cakey, you can try adding a tablespoon or two of extra flour next time, plus a little extra leavening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to weigh in on your side of the cookie controversy - I like the crisp-edged, squishy-centered variety of cookie. I'm always disappointed in my ginger snap and snickerdoodle recipes that they are perfect just cooled, but a day later are literally "snappy" and have to be dunked in tea or milk to achieve prime texture. Not sure I like the "cakey" consistency, though. In my brownies, I tend toward the gooey over the cakey - maybe I just like things underdone and on the racey, potentially salmonella-y side...

    ReplyDelete